Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.

Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00,
Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.

Archives

Locally sourced stone tiles which formed part of the roof of Abermagwr Roman Villa.<br /> Ref. No. DS2010_582_008 C.862941 NPRN: 405315

Locally sourced stone tiles which formed part of the roof of Abermagwr Roman Villa.
Ref. No. DS2010_582_008 C.862941 NPRN: 405315

Abermagwr Roman Villa Excavation Archive

  • Publication archive relating to an article published in Archaeologia Cambrensis 167 (2018) 143-219, The Romano-British villa at Abermagwr, Ceredigion: excavations 2010-2015, by Jeffrey L. Davies and Toby Driver; 2010-2018: Ref. No. ARVE/04

Archaeological Reports/Evaluations (non Trust)

  • Field survey, excavation and historical research archive material of a demolished Elizabethan manor house at Ty Mawr, Llangasty Talyllyn, Powys. Includes final excavation report, field survey drawings, historical research results and selection of photographs; 1995-2000: Ref. No. AENT40_29

Archaeology Wales Project Archives

  • Three reports produced during archaeological work at Shoals Hook Farm, 2014-2015. Project No 2287, 2014-2015: Ref. No. AWP_293_01

C.J. Spurgeon Collection

  • Multiple sets of card indices compiled by Jack Spurgeon, 1916-2007: Ref. No. CJS01
  • Research notes, draft copies, extracts from various sources, copies of illustrations regarding a number of sites referenced as LM1-20 (Later Masonry Castles) as published in the Glamorgan Inventory, Volume III, Part 1b – ‘Later Castles from 1217 to the Present’. First published in 2000: Ref. No. CJS02/01
  • Research notes, draft copies, map extracts from various sources, copies of illustrations and correspondence regarding a number of sites referenced as TH1-4 (Tower Houses) as published in the Glamorgan Inventory, Volume III, Part 1b – ‘Later Castles from 1217 to the Present’. First published in 2000: Ref. No. CJS02/02
  • Research notes, draft copies, map extracts from various sources, copies of illustrations and correspondence regarding a number of sites referenced as SH1-4 (Strong Houses) as published in the Glamorgan Inventory, Volume III, Part 1b – ‘Later Castles from 1217 to the Present’. First published in 2000: Ref. No. CJS02/03
  • Research notes, draft copies, map extracts from various sources, copies of illustrations and correspondence regarding a number of sites referenced as PC1-12 (Possible Castles or Strong Houses) as published in the Glamorgan Inventory, Volume III, Part 1b – ‘Later Castles from 1217 to the Present’. First published in 2000: Ref. No. CJS02/04
  • Research notes, draft copies, map extracts from various sources, copies of illustrations and correspondence regarding three sites referenced as MI1-3 (Miscellaneous Sites) as published in the Glamorgan Inventory, Volume III, Part 1b – ‘Later Castles from 1217 to the Present’. First published in 2000: Ref. No. CJS02/05

C.N. Johns Collection

  • Coloured plan on tracing paper relating to Castell Coch, Tongwynlais; and the related Guide Book, published by Ministry of Public Building and Works in 1954: Ref. No. CNJ07/07
Banqueting Hall at Castell Coch, 1991 Ref. No. DI2005_0669 C.414493 NPRN: 93112

Banqueting Hall at Castell Coch, 1991
Ref. No. DI2005_0669 C.414493 NPRN: 93112

Cadw Scheduled Ancient Monument 35mm Negatives

  • Colour photo surveys of scheduled ancient monuments in Wales carried out by William Jones, 1997: Ref. No. CSAM/WJ
  • Colour photo surveys of scheduled ancient monuments in Wales carried out by W. G. Owen, 1998-2000: Ref. No. CSAM/WGO
  • Photo surveys of scheduled ancient monuments in Wales, labelled “General”, 1987-1997: Ref. No. CSAM/GEN
  • Log sheets associated with the 35mm negatives produced by Cadw, ordered by photographer: Ref. No. CSAM/LOG

Cotswold Archaeology Projects Archive

  • Project archive relating to excavation at Domgay Lane, Four Crosses. Includes context record sheets, colour slides, contact prints, field drawings, survey sheets, and reports; 2005: Ref. No. CA9073

 

Emergency Recording Collection

  • Photographic survey, with location key and brief history of Treforest Textile Printers, 2018: Ref. No. ERC2018_011
  • Photographic survey and measured drawings relating to garage building at Fron, Llangefni, 2018: Ref. No. ERC2018_012
  • Photographic survey and measured drawings relating to Bethany Chapel, Tywyn, 2018: Ref. No. ERC2018_013

Flintshire County Council Collection: Ref. No. FCCC
Collection of measured drawings donated by the Conservation Department of Flintshire County Council, in advance of relocation to new offices
Covering dates: 1974-1982

General Digital Donations Collection

  • Digital photos and location plan showing graffiti on stones at Carn Llechart, taken by Dr Paul Graves-Brown, 2009 and 2018: Ref. No. DD2018_013

Gwynedd Archaeological Trust Projects Archive

 

Investigators’ Digital Photography

 

Paul R. Davis Collection: Ref. No. PRD_02

Further additions to the collection of digital records produced by Paul Davis relating to a number of sites in Wales

Covering dates: 2007-2018

 

RCAHMW Colour Oblique Digital Aerial Photographs

  • Oblique aerial photograph, relating to various sites in Wales; undertaken as part of the Royal Commission’s programme of archaeological aerial reconnaissance, 2015: Ref. No. AP2018_531-609
Mawddach Estuary, 18th October 2018 NPRN: 525705

Mawddach Estuary, 18th October 2018 NPRN: 525705

Richard Barrett Collection: Ref. No. RB

Digital photographs of chapels: taken by Richard Barrett as part of a project to record a gable end image of each chapel

Covering dates: 2018

Books

All our books and journals can be found on the Royal Commission’s Library Catalogue and viewed in our Library and Search Room.

  • Jones, W.B. & Freeman, E.A. 1998. The history and antiquities of St David’s. Haverfordwest: Pembrokeshire County Council.

Offprints from the Vernacular Architecture Group Library

  • Atkinson, Frank. 1959. Water-shot stonework: a building technique, from Transactions of Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society Vol. LXIX, pp. 141- 143. Manchester: Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society.
  • Borne, Patricia & Dixon, Philip. 1978. Halton castle reconsidered, off-print from Archaeologica Aeliana Volume VI, Fifth Series, pp. 131-139. Newcastle upon Tyne: Archaeologica Aeliana.
  • Catacuzino, S. 1990. Understanding timber framed buildings: papers given at a conference organised by the international council on monuments and sites. London: Icomos.
  • Fletcher. J.L. 1962. Middle farm Harwell, off print from Harlequin, Spring 1962. Oxford[?]: Harlequin.
  • Gaillard-Bans, Patricia. 1976. Maison longue et famille étendue Bretagne, off-print from Études rurales Volume 62, pp. 73-87. Paris: Études rurales.
  • Gibson, A., Partridge, C. and Day, I. 1983. Investigation of a 13th Century building at no. 2 West Street, Ware, off-print, pp. 126- 143. Hertford: Hertfordshire Archaeology.
  • Giles, C. 1994. Recording historic farm buildings: proceedings of a one day conference held on 15 January 1994 at The King’s Manor, exhibition square, York.  York: The Historic Farm Buildings Group.
  • Goodburn, Damian. 1991. A Roman timber framed building tradition, off-print from Archaeological Journal, volume 148, pages 182 – 204. London: Archaeological Journal.
  • Grundy, Joan. 1976. Outline of development of stone barns in East Lancashire, [Self Published, off print?]
  • King, M. & Stevens, W. 1979. Saints, scholars, and heroes: studies in medieval culture in honour of Charles W. Jones, Volume Two: Carolingian studies. Collegeville, Minnesota: Hill Monastic Manuscript Library, Saint John’s Abbey and University.
  • Lewis, Elizabeth. 1985. Excavations in Bishops Waltham 1967-78, off-print from Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society, Volume 41, pp. 81-126. Southampton [?]: Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society.
  • Lewis, Elizabeth. 1991. Three Hampshire Wealden houses, off-print from Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society, Volume 46, pp. 113-130. Southampton [?]: Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society.
  • McCann, John. 1996. The influence of rodents on the design and construction of farm buildings in Britain, to the mid-nineteenth century, off-print from The Journal of the Historic Farm Buildings Group Volume 10, pp. 1 -28. Cardiff: The Historic Farm Buildings Group.
  • McDowall, R.W., Smith, J.T. & Stell, C.F. 1966. Westminster Abbey: the timber roofs of the collegiate church of St. Peter at Westminster, off print from Archaeologica Volume 100, pp. 135-174. Oxford: Printed by Vivian Ridler for the Society of Antiquaries of London.
  • Meirion-Jones, Gwyn I. 1979. The Wakes Selborne: a short architectural guide.  Selborne: The Oats Memorial Library and Museum and the Gilbert White Museum.
  • Moodey, Gordon. 1973. The restoration of Hertford castle gatehouse, off-print from Hertfordshire Archaeology Volume 3, pp. 100 -109. St. Albans: Hertfordshire Archaeology.
  • Moodey, Gordon. 1973. Hertford: fifteenth-century timbers from Parliament square, off-print from Hertfordshire Archaeology Volume 3, pp. 138-142. St. Albans: Hertfordshire Archaeology.
  • Moodey, Gordon. 1973. Hertford: A metropolitan slip-ware chamber pot, off-print from Hertfordshire Archaeology Volume 3, pp. 142-143. St. Albans: Hertfordshire Archaeology.
  • Moodey, Gordon. 1973. Canons maltings, Ware, from Hertfordshire Archaeology Volume 3, pp. 143-148. St. Albans: Hertfordshire Archaeology.
  • Morris, Bernard. 1966. Old farmhouses and cottages in Gower, off print from Gower Volume 17. Swansea: The Gower Society.
  • Morris, Bernard. 1974. Oxwich castle, off print from Gower 25. Swansea: The Gower Society.
  • Portsmouth, O.S. 1970. The cross keys inn St. Mary Street, Swansea, off print from Gower volume 20. Swansea: The Gower Society.
  • Reynolds, J., Burrell, C. & Bignall, D. 1967. Durngate mill, Winchester, off print from The Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society Volume 24, pp. 103 – 112. Southampton [?]: Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society.
  • Ruth Gibson; D W H Miles; Henley Archaeological & Historical Group.; Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory (Oxford, England). 2010. Building report on the Old Bell, 20 Bell Street, Henley-on-Thames, dendro-dated to 1325. [Henley on Thames]: Henley on Thames Archaeological & Historical Group.
  • Singleton, William A. 1955. Traditional domestic architecture in Lancashire and Cheshire, off-print from The
  • Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society, Vol. LXV, pp. 33-47. Manchester:
  • Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society.
  • Stell, G. & Omand, D. 1976. The Caithness croft. [Elgin, Scotland?]: Laidhay Preservation Trust.
  • Walker, James. [?]. Lock house, Sawbridgeworth, off-print from Hertfordshire Archaeology. St.Albans: Hertfordshire Archaeology.
  • Walton, James. 1975. The English stone-slater’s craft, off-print from Folk Life Volume 13, pp. 38-53. Cardiff[?]: Folk Life.
  • Walton, James. 1996. Old Yorkshire stone crafts, off-print from Folk Life Volume 35, pp. 78-90. Cardiff[?]: Folk Life.
  • Zimmermann, W. Haio. 1998. Why was cattle-stalling introduced in prehistory? The significance of byre and stable and of outwintering, paper from ‘Settlement and Landscape’ conference in Århus, Denmark, May 4-7, 1998. Aarhus: Jutland archaeological Society.

Journals

  • Architects Journal Volume 245 (Issue 19, October 2018).
  • AJ Specification September (2018).
  • The Architects’ Journal Volume 245 (Issue 18, 27 September 2018).
  • British Archaeology Volume 163 (November/December 2018).
  • Council for British Archaeology Newsletter Volume 44 (October 2018-January 2019).
  • Current Archaeology Volume 344 (November 2018).
  • Newyddlen / Newsletter. Prosiect Llongau-U 1914-18: Yn Coffáu’r Rhyfel ar y Môr / U-Boat Project: Commemorating the War at Sea Volume 5 (Autumn 2018).
  • Victorian Society News October (2018).
  • Welsh Railways Research Circle Volume 156 (Autumn, 2018).

Journals: Current Awareness

  • British Archaeology Volume 163 (November/December 2018). P.7 ‘Stonehenge drew visitors from the very start’ – Isotope evidence links the people with the transport of Welsh bluestones before 2500BC. P.15 ‘Sharp Focus’ discusses Strata Florida, Cwm Mwyro and Hafod Eidos. P.16-25 ‘Taking the Ghosts of Summer: aerial archaeology in 2018’ article on this summer’s new discoveries (with a nice photo of Toby). P.65 ‘GWR Revetment Wall, Swansea’ article discussing the varying quality of heritage impact statements, which became compulsory in September 2017.
  • Current Archaeology Volume 344 (November 2018) p.18-24 ‘Out of the ashes: Seeking the origins of the first people of Stonehenge’ – isotope evidence suggesting that the Boscome Bowmen may have originated from Wales, as has been established with the bluestones.
  • Victorian Society News October (2018). Denbighshire Council completes CPO on Denbigh Asylum.

Contact us

If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:

NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Penglais Road
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion SY23 3BU

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701
Email: nmr.wales@rcahmw.gov.uk
Website: rcahmw.gov.uk

Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English

November 5, 2018