Earlier this week, a blogpost discussed how the constantly changing buildings of Butetown tells the story of the Bay across the nineteenth century. This evolution continued into the twentieth century, as the decline of the coal industry prompted further transformations.
Much of the industrial environment has disappeared Ââ€“ the Glamorganshire Canal is a park, the Bute West Dock was filled in 1964, and its basin is Roald Dahl Plass Ââ€“ but some structures have endured with new purpose. The Bute East Dock is Atlantic Wharf, an award-winning conversion transforming the warehouse at its head into offices. The Spillers and Baker Factory has become flats while the London and North Western Railway Warehouse is a hotel. Coryâ€™s Building on Bute Street and the neighbouring building on Bute Place are being converted into luxury apartments, while the Coal Exchange is a hotel.
Some buildings also have new locations. The Norwegian Church, originally at the south-east corner of the Bute West Dock, was re-erected on its present site in 1982. Others have made shorter journeys. The Customs and Excise Building was moved some fifty metres backwards in 1992.
Other buildings havenâ€™t survived. The site of Merthyr House at the corner of James and Evelyn streets stands empty. Damaged by fire in 1947, its northern section was never rebuilt. Gloucester Chambers at the south-east corner of Mount Stuart Square was demolished after the blizzard of 1982. At the south-west of the square the Bethel English Baptist Chapel, which was the Casablanca nightclub from 1965, is now a car park. Some buildings have made way for new development. In 1993, buildings on Bute Place, Bute Street, and Bute Crescent, including the Grade II-listed Mount Stuart Hotel, were demolished during the construction of the Butetown Link Road. The Welsh Industrial and Maritime Museum enjoyed only a short existence in Cardiff Bay (1977-1998), replaced by the shops and restaurants of Mermaid Quay.
These changes highlight the importance of the Royal Commissionâ€™s role. By the time the Commission was established in 1908, many structures of historical interest had been built and replaced, the early Commissionâ€™s focus on pre-eighteenth-century sites notwithstanding. However, following concerns over the loss of buildings in the Second World War, our remit was expanded to include later buildings, particularly endangered sites. Our archives hold hundreds of images and records of Cardiff Bayâ€™s now-lost structures, an enduring record of Cardiff and Walesâ€™s rich maritime history.
David Hilling, â€˜Through Tiger Bay to Cardiff Bay â€“ Changing Waterfront Environmentâ€™, Transaction of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion (1990), 173â€“191.
Glamorgan Archives have written a number of excellent blogposts featuring many sites from throughout Cardiff Bay and wider Cardiff. Their website can be found here.
Adam N. Coward
August 10, 2018