Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday â€“ Friday 09.30 â€“ 16.00,
Wednesday 10.30 â€“ 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
Archaeology Wales Project Archives
Project archive records relating to:
- Mynydd y Gwrhyd Community Wind Farm, Pontardawe, 2014-2016: Ref. No. AWP_234
- Fenton Home Farm, Crundale, 2014: Ref. No. AWP_235
- Ynysderw Road, Pontardawe, 2014: Ref. No. AWP_236
- Ewenny Road, Maesteg, 2014: Ref. No. AWP_237
- Land South of the GMF Factory, Ystalyfera, Swansea, 2014: Ref. No. AWP_238
- 51 Maryport Street, Usk, 2014-2016: Ref. No. AWP_239
- Upper Leytons, Tintern, Monmouthshire, 2015-2016: Ref. No. AWP_240
- Former Church of St David, Garthbrengy, Powys, 2014: Ref. No. AWP_241
- Plas y Bryniau, Bethania, Ceredigion, 2014: Ref. No. AWP_242
- The Bible College of Wales, Lower Sketty, Swansea, 2011-2016: Ref. No. AWP_243
- Little Wern y Pentre, Clyro, Powys, 2015-2016: Ref. No. AWP_244
- Llwyncelyn Farm, Porth, Rhondda Cynon Taf, 2015: Ref. No. AWP_245
- Risca Flood Management Scheme, Caerphilly, 2013-2016: Ref. No. AWP_246
- Allstone Cottage, Coldbath Road, Caerleon, 2016: Ref. No. AWP_247
- Mynachdy Wind Turbine Scheme, Rhondda Cynon Taf, 2016: Ref. No. AWP_248
- Land to the rear of Ael y Bryn, North Cornelly, 2016: Ref. No. AWP_249
- Rear of Ivory House, Adpar, Newcastle Emlyn, 2009: Ref. No. AWP_250
- Cefn y Maes, Rhyd-y-Croesau 2017: Ref. No. AWP_251
- Tank Farm, Rhosgoch, 2016: Ref. No. AWP_252
- Mill Lane, Welshpool, 2016: Ref. No. AWP_253
- Wern, Pencader, 2016: Ref. No. AWP_254
Bethesda Urban Characterisation Photographs: REF. No. BUCP
Digital colour photographs relating to various sites in Bethesda: Ref. No. BUCP_608 to BUCP_ 632
Covering dates: 2017
Digital Dissent Project Collection: Ref. No. DDP
Records relating to various chapel, collected by RCAHMW and Addoldai Cymru, as part of the Digital Dissent Project which tells â€˜the story of Welsh chapels in terms of religion, architecture, culture and societyâ€™.
Covering dates: 2015-2017
Investigators Digital Photography: Ref. No. DS2018
Photographic surveys relating to various sites in Wales: Ref. No. DS2018_ 340 to DS2018_433
- Adams, P.J. 1961. Geology and ceramics: A brief review of the nature, geological occurrence, processing, and principal industrial applications of the rocks and minerals used in British ceramic manufacture. London: H.M.S.O.
- Archdiocese of Cardiff. [?]. The life and times of Bishop Thomas Joseph Brown, 1798 â€“ 1880. Cardiff: Wales and the Marches Catholic History Society.
- Barton, D.B. 1965. A guide to the mines of West Cornwall. Truro: D. Bradford Barton Ltd.
- Best, G. 1985. Mid-Victorian Britain 1851-75. London: Fontana Press.
- Bodley, H. 1976. Mining. London: Batsford Ltd.
- Bud, R. et al. 2000. Inventing the modern world: technology since 1750. London: Dorling Kindersley.
- Burton, Bishop. 2001 [reprint]. Catholicity a hundred years ago in Glamorgan and Monmouthshire. Cardiff: Wales and the Marches Catholic History Society.
- Cadw. 2018. Castles and town walls of King Edward in Gwynedd World Heritage Site: World heritage site management plan 2018-28. Cardiff: Cadw.
- Cadw. 2018. Castles and town walls of King Edward in Gwynedd World Heritage Site: World heritage site management plan 2018-28: Action plan. Cardiff: Cadw.
- Cadw. 2018. Safle treftadaeth y byd cestyll a muriau trefiâ€™r Brenin Edward yng Ngwynedd: Cynllun rheoli 2018-28 safle treftadaeth y byd. Cardiff: Cadw.
- Cadw. 2018. Safle treftadaeth y byd cestyll a muriau tref y Brenin Edward yng Ngwynedd: Cynllun rheoli 2018-28 safle treftadaeth y byd: Cynllun gweithredu. Cardiff: Cadw.
- Court, W.H.B. 1967. A concise economic history of Britain from 1750 to recent times. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Cromford Canal Society. [?]. The Cromford canal and Leawood pump. Ripley: Cromford Canal Society.
- C.P.R.E. 1957. Your house on view: our homes and their setting. London: C.P.R.E.
- Crump, T. 2010. A brief history of how the industrial revolution changed the world. London: Robinson.
- Curran, Edward. 2007. The Catholic revival in Newport. Wales and the Marches Catholic History Society: Cardiff.
- Devon County Council. 1982. Archaeology in Devon: annual report No. 5, 1981-1982. Exeter: County Planning Department, Devon County Council.
- English Heritage. 2000. Power of place: the future of the historic environment. London: English heritage.
- Gould, Peter G. 2018. Empowering communities through archaeology and heritage: the role of local governance in economic development. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Goulder, Laurance. 1988. Church life in medieval England and Wales: Part 1, the parishes. London: The Guild of Our Lady of Ransom.
- Hadfield, C. 1973. Introducing inland waterways. Newton Abbot: David & Charles.
- Haeussler, Ralph and King, Anthony [Editors]. 2017. Celtic religions in the Roman period: personal, local and global. Aberystwyth: Celtic Studies Publications.
- Hall, Alan. 2002. St. Donatâ€™s Castle: a guide and brief history. Tonypandy: Atlantic College, St. Donatâ€™s Castle.
- Hall, Alex and Sands, Rob. 2005. Controversy on the Clyde: archaeologists, fakers and forgers: the excavation of Dumbuck Crannog. Edinburgh: RCAHMS.
- Hartwell, R.M. 1965. The industrial revolution in England. London: The Historical Association.
- Harwood, Elain and Powers, Alan [Editors]. 2012. The Seventies: rediscovering a lost decade of British Architecture. London: Twentieth Century Society.
- Harwood, Elain and Powers, Alan [Editors]. 2017. The architecture of public service. London: Twentieth Century Society.
- Hicks, Michael [Editor]. 2016. The later medieval inquisitions post mortem: mapping the medieval countryside and rural society. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press.
- Hitchmough, W. 1995 [reprint]. The Michelin building: a celebration of the reopening. London: Conran Octopus.
- John, Rev. Father. 1907. University life in the middle ages [reprint]. Cardiff: Wales and the Marches Catholic History Society.
- Kenyon, J.R. 1988. Raglan Castle. Cardiff: CADW: Welsh Historic Monuments.
- King, Patrice. 2000. Religious orders in Herefordshire before and after the reformation. Cardiff: Wales and the Marches Catholic History Society.
- Lewis, G.J. [Editor]. 1999? The Vaughans of Courtfield. Cardiff: Wales and the Marches Catholic History Society.
- Linton, D.J. [Editor]. 2018. The fascination that is in all mining : Proceedings of the Welsh Mines Society Conference 2016, Welsh Mines and Mining No. 5. Llanaber: Welsh Mines Society.
- Lister, B. 1966. The craftsman in metal. London: G. Bell and Sons, LTD.
- Kightly, Charles. 1994. Chieftains and princes: a power in the land of Wales. Cardiff: Cadw.
- Matic, Uros and Lenson, Bo [Editors]. 2017. Archaeologies of gender and violence. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- Minchinton, W. 1984. A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain. London: Granada.
- Moore, Donald. 1979. Caerleon: fortress of the legion. Cardiff: National Museum of Wales.
- Owens, R.M. 1984. Trilobites in Wales. Cardiff: National Museum of Wales.
- Perrott, D. 1997. Guide to the waterways 5: North West & the Pennines. London and Southampton: Nicholson and Ordnance Survey.
- Ponsford, M.W. 1975. Excavations at Greyfriars, Bristol. Bristol: City of Bristol Museum.
- Pritchard, T.W. 1998. Ruabon Parish Church. Much Wenlock: R.J.L. Smith.
- Raistrick, A. 1972. Industrial archaeology: an historical survey. St. Albans: Paladin.
- Riden, Philip. 1988. Rebuilding a valley: a history of Cwmbran Development Corporation. Cwmbran: Cwmbran Development Corporation.
- Robinson, David M. 1989. Neath Abbey. Cardiff: CADW: Welsh Historic Monuments.
- Rolt, Tom. 1974. Victorian engineering. London: Penguin.
- Svedenstierna, Eric. 1993. Svedenstiern and the industrial revolution. Oxford: Heinemann.
- Taylor, N. [?]. Monuments of commerce. Feltham: Country Life Books.
- Waddington, Clive and Bonsall, Clive [Editors]. Archaeology and environment on the North Sea Littoral: a case study from Low Hauxley. Bakewell: Archaeological Research Services Ltd.
- Welsh Historic Gardens Trust. 2018. Ymddiriedolaeth Gerddi Hanesyddol Cymru / Welsh Historic Gardens Trust annual report 2017. Llangarthen: Welsh Historic Gardens Trust.
- Welsh, T. 2009. Local history on the ground. Stroud: The History Press.
- British Archaeology No. 161 (July/August).
- Chapels Society Newsletter Volume 68 (May 2018).
- Context: Institute of Historic Building Conservation No. 153 (March 2018).
- Council for British Archaeology Newsletter Issue 43 (July 2018).
- Current Archaeology Issue 340 (July 2018).
- Current World Archaeology Volume 89 (June/July).
- Essex Historic Buildings Group Newsletter No. 5 (July 2018).
- Meisgyn and Glynrhondda local history research New Series Volume 10 (No. 1, March 2018).
- Newsletter / Ancient Monuments Society Part 2 (Summer: 2018).
- Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings Magazine Summer (2018).
- Talyllyn News, Talyllyn Preservation Society No. 258 (June: 2018).
- Trafodion: Cymdeithas Hanes Sir Gaernarfon / Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical Society Volume 77 (2016/2017).
- Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorian Volume 23 (2017).
Journals: Current Awareness
- British Archaeology No. 161 (July/August), p. 58 notification of Cadwâ€™s Bryn Celli Ddu landscape project (excavation) 11/06/2018 â€“ 07/07/2018. P. 59 notification of CBAâ€™s Archaeology in Wales Conference, 31/08/2018 â€“ 02/09/2018, Lampeter.
- Context: Institute of Historic Building Conservation No. 153 (March 2018), p. 8 orbituary for Elizabeth Evans (Hall), conservation architect.
- Current Archaeology Issue 340 (July 2018), p. 25 as part of the article, Rooted in history: digging into the development of Britainâ€™s street trees, Chris Catling discusses how the Cardiff Corporation dealt with the costs of planting street trees in the city.
- Milk Marketing Board in Wales, Brian Malaws. Industrial Archaeology Review, vol 40, no 1, May 2018, on pages 25-38
- Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorian Volume 23 (2017), p.28 Casework: The Gunther Mansion, Abergavenny
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg aâ€™r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English
July 13, 2018